This Week at WMES - January 11-14, 2021
This week at WMES
January 12, 2021
Dear WMES Families: Happy New Year!
Please continue to check https://novascotia.ca/coronavirus/ for up to date information.
Remember to check the Daily checklist for Covid19, or do the online check in with Public Health if you have any concerns before sending students to school each day.
Morning Drop Off reminders:
• PLEASE do not pass when dropping off in the Kiss and Go Loop in the mornings.
• If you need to get out of your car to help, or if you do not have time to wait in the line, please use the bus loop after the buses have gone (usually after 7:45am).
• It’s time for a refresh for most students. Please see the School Supply Lists that were sent last summer for the January refresh list. The lists are posted on our webpage under the ‘Our School – For Parents’ tab.
• HRCE has immediate openings for Substitute Teachers and hundreds of substitute assignments daily in our 135 schools. Full-time hours are a possibility with many schools within a close commute. The daily rate of pay for Substitute Teachers is $189.52.
• The turnaround time from application to beginning work is very quick.
Job postings are updated every Wednesday at 4:00 pm, so be sure to check on a regular basis. View Postings at www.myhrce.ca/jobs
Dressing for the Weather:
• Please remember to send students to school each morning dressed for whatever weather we are having. We are making every effort to get outside every day. And please label all belongings as we do not have a Lost and Found this year. Thanks
A message from our Community Health Team
Free Programs for Families and Staff:
We hope this New Year finds you safe and well. For many people, this time of year brings thoughts of change and an interest in taking care of our physical and mental wellbeing. This may be truer now more than ever! The Community Health Team is here to support you and the families in your schools.
We continue to deliver our FREE wellness programs in a virtual zoom for health care platform as well as offer content to reflect the current needs of families (i.e. focus on anxiety, screen time, behavior challenges, and self-compassion).
The Community Health Teams are a joint partnership between the IWK Health and Nova Scotia Health. Please fine the promotional material attached. Here is what we are currently offering:
• My Child is Anxious. Should I worry? - 2 week program
• Screen Time in my Family - 1 week program
• Self-compassion for parents – 1 week program
• Incredible Years Parenting Program - 12 week program for parents of 6-12 year olds (School Aged) and 14 week program for parents of 3-6 year olds (Pre-school)
• NEW Parenting your Teenager: Walking the Middle Path – 6 week program
• NEW Handle with Care- 8 week program for parents of 0-6 year olds
• Parent/Caregiver 101 Series offered by IWK Pediatric Dietitians & Occupational Therapists - Behaviour 101, Mealtime 101, Toileting 101
The CHT flyer also has many other free health and wellness programs to support your families.
From our Transportation Team
Reminders of school bus safety during COVID-19
As we all get back into the routine, we thought you might find it helpful if we reviewed the safety measures we’re taking to keep everyone safe on school buses. Please keep in mind that reducing the COVID-19 risk of transmission is everyone’s responsibility, and we encourage families to remind their children of how they can help when riding the bus.
• Before coming to the bus stop, please screen your child as per the Daily Checklist.
• Students should wash and/or sanitize their hands before going to the stop and leaving school.
• Everyone (students, drivers and monitors) must wear masks when loading, riding and unloading the bus.
• Students should line up at the bus stop keeping a safe distance from others to the extent possible.
• Students of the same household are encouraged to sit together whenever possible.
• Buses will be cleaned twice daily, and high touch surfaces will be cleaned before and after each run.
• Up-to-date student passenger lists will be maintained for each school bus.
Visit hrcetransportation.mybusplanner.ca to review your child’s transportation information and regularly check your inbox for updates. We appreciate your support, and we are excited to welcome our students back to school!
Happy New Year from HRCE Transportation
It’s great to be back. Happy New Year from the staff of WMES. Take care & stay safe