This Week at WMES - September 6th
This Week at WMES
Week of September 6th, 2023
Dear WMES families:
Welcome back to a new school year. We are very excited to welcome you and your students back. We look forward to seeing you either tonight, at our Open House from 6-7pm, and/or tomorrow (September 7th) for the first day of school.
Our September calendar can be found on our website: https://wms.hrce.ca/
A few reminders for our first day of school:
- Staff start duty at 7:40am. Buses will begin arriving and unloading students at that time. There will always be staff outside to greet students as they arrive in the mornings, and on our first few days of school we will have extra staff outside to make sure that everyone knows where to go.
- The small loop by our lower parking lot is our ‘Kiss and Go’ loop. This loop is for quick drop offs and parents/guardians are asked not to get out of their vehicles in this location. Staff will assist your students. Once in the ‘Kiss and Go’ lane you must follow it in a single file. There is no passing in this loop.
- If you would like to get out of your vehicle at drop off we ask that you please find a parking space in one of our two lots, or on the side street by our upper parking lot.
- We are a nut free and scent aware school. Please refrain from sending food items that contain nuts. Students, staff and family members coming to school should not wear any product that has a strong scent. We want every member of our school community to be safe at school.
- Dismissal is a very busy time of day so please avoid making last minute dismissal changes unless it is an emergency. If you have a change in your regular dismissal schedule, please call the office before 1pm.
The Cafeteria will open on Monday, September 11th.
- Information to order can be found on our Webpage: https://wms.hrce.ca/
- Family members: Please take a minute to login and update your child’s Profile Page with their current class and teacher so that our cafeteria staff know where to deliver lunches. Thank You.
- We always have some “Grab & Go” breakfast/snack items available at the office if students are looking for breakfast or an extra snack. This is for all students.
- We will have our first fire drill next week. All classes will practice and discuss the importance of having a Fire Drill. We have six fire drills each year; three in the Fall and three in the Spring.
Thursday, September 14th, is Picture Day at WMES! Retake day will be October. Class photos will be taken on Retake day. September 14th is also Stand Up Against Bullying Day, and students are encouraged to wear something PINK (although we certainly understand that their chosen outfit for picture day may not work). We will find lots of other creative ways to incorporate pink into our day - so no worries if wearing pink doesn’t work for your child.
Lost & Found:
- Please Label your items. When items (water bottles, sweaters, sneakers, etc) arrive in our Lost & Found we always check for names before items are donated (which happens at least once each term).
Updating Student information in PowerSchool: Information will be updated electronically directly in the PowerSchool this year. Please watch for information to come home in the next few weeks to walk you through how to check/update your PowerSchool information.
Have a great week everyone and WELCOME BACK!
Mrs. Wolfe and Mrs. van der Weegen